Sunday 31 March 2019

Sunday Baking Recipes

I've had some requests for recipes from my last baking post so I'll write out two of them here for you.  The others, including the muffins, are all available via the links I provided in the post.  I'm not exactly sure on copyright if I rewrote them out here which is why I've provided the links.

Today I'll give you the Anzac biscuit recipe and the Gingernut recipes I use.  Both are family recipes from well worn hand written books and both are delicious.

I've also added in the jam drop recipe I made today.





Anzac Biscuits

Nearly every Australian and New Zealand household probably has a recipe for these and I'm sure everyone's is a little different when it comes to the quantities.  There's also the argument for crispy or chewy Anzacs as some people prefer one or the other.  I love both!

I will say that I have tweaked the amount of butter I use compared to my Mum.  I found that the mixture was just slightly crumbly (which makes for crispy biscuits), and the kids would get frustrated with trying to keep them together if they were helping me cook.  To avoid tantrums, I increased the butter a little and we have no problems now.




Anzac biscuit ingredients

1 cup Self-raising flour
1 cup Rolled oats
1 cup Desiccated coconut
1 cup Sugar
140g butter (Mum's recipe was for 125g)
1 tablespoon Golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 teaspoon bicarb soda

Place the flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.

Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the golden syrup and water.  Add the bicarb soda to the butter mix until it froths up then pour it into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Place teaspoon sized balls of mixture onto greased baking trays, press slightly to flatten them with a fork or the back of a spoon and cook for 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees celsius (350F) until golden brown.

I've found that if using just 125g of butter it's easier to leave the mixture in balls and not press down on them before putting them in the oven.  Take them out after about 5 minutes in the oven and press them, then continue to cook them until golden.






Gingernuts


125g butter
1 cup sugar (about 225g)
2 teaspoons golden syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups Self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger


Melt the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan, add the sugar, stir then cool slightly.  Add the egg and mix well (and quickly so it doesn't scramble).

In a separate bowl add the flour, ginger and bicarb soda.  Pour the butter mix into the dry ingredients and mix well.  Roll into teaspoon size balls and dip the tops in a little sugar, then place onto greased baking trays sugar side up.  Press slightly with a fork and cook at 180 celsius (350F) for 10-15 minutes until they turn brown.  Devour once cooled....slightly!


I'll add one more recipe since I made them this morning and the kids loved them.  I promise I won't turn this into a cooking blog but I wanted to document these so I remember what I want to do next time I make them.

They are the classic Jam drop biscuits and I hadn't made them in years.  This recipe is easy and is from my high school Home Economics recipe book and is a hit with the kids.




Jam drops

120g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
about 1/2 cup jam of your choice

Beat the butter and sugar to a cream.  Add the egg and beat well then add the vanilla.  Gradually add the flour and mix into a stiff paste.  Roll into teaspoons sized balls and place on greased trays.

To make the hole to hold the jam, I used to press down with my thumb or a teaspoon but found I couldn't place too much jam in the hollow because it would run all over the biscuit while cooking.

Today I pressed a good sized hole in them with the end of a wooden spoon.  I only filled the hole about 3/4 with jam as I didn't want it to go everywhere but it was well contained in the hole and in the end I didn't put enough jam in.  So if using the wooden spoon (highly recommended), then fill the hole right up for lots of jammy goodness.

Bake for around 15 minutes until golden in a 180 Celsius (350F) oven.

Since Master M doesn't like jam I decided to put some Nutella in half of the biscuits instead.  

Note to self:   Nutella doesn't spread as much as jam so really load it up to give a decent amount of chocolatey goodness.  These are really yummy too!





I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.  I'll be back in a few days with a non food post as we had a special celebration this weekend.

xx Susan




1 comment:

Teresa Kasner said...

I must say, your baking posts have inspired me. I am ready to put a pan of apple oat cinnamon muffins in the oven in a few minutes. I am going to use my hand-made pottery muffin pan. I filled the cups to he top, I hope they don't rise up too tall and fall over! I really want to make both your recipes so will copy and paste them into a document now and print them up. Thanks!!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)