Tuesday 5 March 2019

Memory Lane

My lovely Mum has been having a bit of a declutter recently.  She's been going through her cupboards and finding some really interesting things.  Some of them defy belief as to why you would keep them and others she just couldn't part with.

Mum and Dad have lived in the same house for nearly 42 years now so you would expect a few things to accumulate over that time.

She has found a few things of mine and passed them onto me.  Some I have no idea what to do with as I'm in a bit of a decluttering phase too, but some I just can't part with.

She did pass on a few things I made in Grade 8 shop.

There is my spice rack.




Something I apparently made to hold 'Thingemy-bobs' and have no clue as to what I can use this for.  It gets screwed to a wall and has 4 slots behind the front section to hold things, a bit like a knife block.




Then there is my metal scoop, my cake slice and a sweet copper spoon which is now hanging up from a nail in my kitchen.




My cake tins are a bit rusty so I'm thinking that a photo will have to suffice for these although hubby may find a use for them in the shed.




One of the items has come in very handy already.

The picture below is my spice rack in my pantry.  The yellow labelled containers fit in it perfectly but the bottles, especially on the top row, have a habit of falling when the pantry door is opened.




Those bottles now have a new home and I even found an empty one which I cleaned up the lid on and replaced the broken dill one (which fell and broke when I was opening the door to take the picture).





I'll leave you with this next masterpiece from my little trip down memory lane.

It's my drawing of a fly which I did when I was 4 years old (Mum dated it).  I have no idea what to do with it but it's too spectacular to throw out, especially considering it's been hanging around Mum's house for over 40 years!




Have a wonderful week friends.

xx Susan




5 comments:

Billie Jo said...

How wonderful!!!!
How fun that you can revisit these special things that are so dear to your mother.
The spice rack is perfect!

Christina said...

That drawing is very sweet! Coincidentally, my mum is also decluttering and sends me photos of things that I might want - should I ever drive all the way to Switzerland with a gigantic truck that is. Have a good week. x

Jane said...

We never made things at school. The boys did woodwork and metalwork, but the girls did cookery and sewing. I love the spice rack and the 'thingemy-bobs'. My dad passed on a few things to me when Mum passed away. Best, Jane x

CJ said...

You made some excellent things, and I love that they're being used again. The copper spoon is brilliant.

Teresa Kasner said...

I love your rescued family heirlooms! Sweet of your mum to treasure them all these years. I also made a copper ladle.. I'll have to shine it up and take a photo of it. Enjoy! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)