Tuesday 26 March 2019

Sunday Baking

For the last four or five weeks I've got into the habit of doing some baking of a Sunday morning.

I used to bake regularly for the school week but got out of the habit in the past couple of years when things started to get me down a bit.

I'm trying to bake only 2 things, sometimes 3 each week as I really don't want to feel like I'm stuck in the kitchen for the whole day and so far we've all been enjoying the results.


Gingernuts are always a firm favourite in our house and I've made these a couple of times.




Cupcakes are also a favourite and the best thing is that they freeze really well (icing and all) which means I can pop one in a lunch box for a treat sometimes and it's defrosted by the time lunch comes around.




I always have to make two kinds of cupcakes of course as Miss R won't eat chocolate ones and Master M won't eat any that AREN'T chocolate.




I've also fallen in love with muffins.  They are so easy and for a person who doesn't really like the decorating side of baking, they are a perfect fit as once they're out of the oven you don't have to do anything else, ...well, except eat them of course.   Oh and they're perfect for a quick breakfast as you only have to microwave them for 30 or 40 seconds and presto....brekky!

I made some cheese muffins which are beautiful and will add some ham and maybe sundried tomatoes or other things next time.  Then again, I love them as just as they are too.




Our favourite Anzac muffins which I mentioned in a recent post have been made a few times as they're a firm favourite and we really love them for a quick breakfast.




I tried some chocolate chip muffins which were a big hit with the boys (okay...and me) and may be on the cards again this week as there are none left in the freezer and I'm getting some not so subtle hints.




The classic Anzac biscuit is a regular as well.  Very much favourites around these parts and with Anzac Day coming up next month I think will be on the menu again soon.




I have had a helper occasionally.




Miss R loves making some lemon biscuits from a recipe in a cookbook she received for Christmas a few years ago.   They're actually called Mum's Lemon Biscotti but they're nothing like biscotti.  We don't mind though as they're delicious.




I even made a carrot cake from a packet cake mix.  I prefer making things from scratch but I don't mind making something from a packet mix if it's good.  This one freezes well too!




Another packet mix was the brownie I made last weekend.  We had some extras in the house on Sunday so I decided I had better make something chocolately for them.




I also made some shortbread and I can't believe that I have NEVER made it before.  How on earth did that happen?

Anyway, I can now say that I've made it and it was is scrumptious and incredibly easy to make.  I know there are so many recipes and ways to make it out there but if you're looking for an easy 3 ingredient one, click on the link here for the one I used.  YUM!




Now I've just made myself hungry again so I may have to go and have another piece of shortbread before the hordes polish the last few pieces off.

Enjoy your week everyone.

xx  Susan












6 comments:

Jane said...

Crikey! That's a baking marathon there! John does our baking as he's so much better at it than me and, being retired, it gives him something to do whilst I'm at work. Best, Jane :)

Teresa Kasner said...

I must say each of those baked items looked delicious to me. I even printed up your Anzac muffin recipe.. now I want the cookie one! Good job on your industriousness! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Christina said...

You are putting me to shame, I never bake. I like to eat cakes too much and not baking any helps to eat less :-)
Shortbread is pure amazing, would love to have a piece just now x

Anonymous said...

The Ginger Biscuits look fabulous - any chance of the recipe??

Meg said...

There are a few recipes there that I'd love to try for my Sunday baking, Susan. Last week, I made chocolate and oat cookies which were a chocolatey hit with my boy. I love the look of the Anzac muffins and will definitely be given them a try. Meg:)

sewing green lady said...

Wow all your baking looks amazing, mine is never as good anymore now that I don't use eggs or wheat so two huge factors missing. Banana loaf is about the best thing I can make. I particularly like the look of the lemon biscuits you made. x