Tuesday 12 March 2019

Weekend

We had no plans this weekend just gone except to stay at home and slump about the place.  That was just fine with the kidlettes and myself (hubby was at work) as these are often the kind of weekends we love best.

Saturday we did have a project to occupy ourselves as my Mum, brother and his two boys flew to Japan.  I love modern technology which allows you to track the flight and lets you know if it's on time or not.

We spent the day checking in on the flight tracker website working out where they would be and what they might see.

Q.  Where are they now Mum?
  
A.  It looks like they're flying over the Great Barrier Reef right now.  (wide eyed excitement greeted this).

….. a little later....

A.  They're flying over Papua New Guinea now.  (wide eyed...do we live near there?)

….a little later...

A.  They're flying over the ocean near Guam.  (not much interest in that one).



The most excitement came when we realised they were about to touch down and knowing that their cousins were in Japan.  I hope they have a wonderful holiday and have lots of incredible stories to tell when they arrive home safe and sound.

I also started on the Sunday Shawl which I decided to make with my stash of Stylecraft Special DK yarn.  I don't have enough of one colour to make the body of the shawl so I'm mixing things up a bit and I'm quite liking how it's working out so far.

I did take my usual first photo with the hook I'm using for future reference when if I have a brain freeze and can't remember which one I need.



I didn't get a huge amount done on the weekend but I'm happy with it so far.  Hopefully I'll get the chance to work on it a bit more during the week because I've got a really busy one ahead with lots of appointments and things to do.  The crochet may have to take a back seat for a bit and I'm trying not to stress about having such a full calendar.  

I really don't like having a full calendar and need to make sure I have plenty of down time...at home...where I'm happiest.



We did some more baking too which is becoming a regular Sunday morning event for us.  I try and make things to help me out with lunch boxes and after school snacks and this week it was Anzac muffins and gingernut biscuits.

The Anzac muffins are really yummy and full of rolled oats, grated apple, coconut and the other usual muffiny bits to bind them all together.  They freeze well too so are perfect to pop in the microwave of a morning for a quick breakfast.

I just did a quick search and have found the recipe I use.  I scribbled it into my own family cookbook years ago so I'm still happy it's online.  It's here if you want to give them a go.




Digging for treasure was also on the cards on the weekend.




There was lots of tapping and scraping and banging but eventually the booty revealed itself.




There is still more to be found but Master M's pretty happy with his loot so far.




Have a wonderful week everyone.

I'm personally hoping summer will bugger off as the heat is quite suffocating at the moment.  Enough whining and I do have air conditioning which is pretty well cranked up as we speak so that's a positive.

xx Susan


3 comments:

Jane said...

Your shawl looks lovely so far. Modern technology and the internet are wonderful aren't they? I hope your family are taking lots of lovely photos to share with you when they get home. John's the baker/cook in our house, so I'll see if he fancies baking those muffins! Best, Jane :)

Billie Jo said...

We are very similar, my friend.
I too prefer home days to those busy, appointment filled ones.
Thank you for the recipe!
They look delicious,
I enjoy my visits with you here.
Have a cozy day.

Teresa Kasner said...

I'm loving how your Sunday Shawl is looking.. your yarn is way thicker than the "thread" I'm using and will go much faster. I had to go down a hook size too due to my fine yarn. Your Anzac muffins look right up my alley.. I'll check out the recipe. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)