Monday 24 June 2019

mid-Winter

The solstice nearly passed me by this year.  I don't usually do much to celebrate except light a candle and reflect a little on the previous six months and work out what bits of my life I might like to give a little polish to over the next six months.



When I think of mid-winter, images of dull, dark, grey, cold and rain usually come to mind.  Those images are pretty well the opposite of what we are experiencing at the moment.  With so much bright light about, I didn't even think about the solstice so thank you to Miss R for reminding me.

I have to say that we are pretty blessed to live in a beautiful part of the world where the winter's are very mild and most days reach around 20 Celsius.  There has been some sneaky breezes keeping the temperature down and making me very happy as I get to wear my scarves, shawls and wraps for a brief time.

We're even putting the heaters on of a morning as the temperatures have been getting down to single figures at night!


The kids keep telling me how freezing they are so I keep telling them that a family holiday to the snow is out of the question then because if they can still walk around in t-shirt and shorts right now, then it's not really cold!  They don't believe me of course.

Enough of the weather, I'm sounding very British aren't I? (sorry to all my Brit friends :)




I've been without a car for the last week as well since hubby's car is still at the panel beaters after the accident about a month ago.

That meant he had to take my lovely beastie to work this week and the kids and I have had to rely on family for the school runs.  Thank goodness hubby's cousin lives in the same street as us and hasn't needed his car during the day so I've been able to borrow it for a brief time of a morning and afternoon.

No car on the weekend meant we couldn't get out and about to enjoy the gorgeous weather.

We had to make do with a couple of meandering walks to the shops for supplies which I always enjoy.  It's not far but it really is a pretty little walk in parts and I love that you can see some of the Glasshouse Mountains peeking above the houses and shops.




Since we weren't able to get out and about, I ended up getting a bit more done on the wrap I'm making.  I'm really enjoying this one and am very happy that the green is starting to subtlety make it's way through.  A few more rows and it should be more pronounced.




Have a wonderful week everyone.  I'm off to do a speed run of housework so I can get back to my wrap.

xx Susan


4 comments:

Country Rabbit said...

wow! the glasshouse mountains? they really are impressive! stunning view!
quite a contrast as we are celebrating the summer solstice...good time to reflect on life and goals...and enjoy the seasonal changes. still looks like summer where you are ;)

Jules said...

Yes, your midwinter is much more like our midsummer. The weather looks beautiful and those mountains are quite simply stunning.
I'm loving the subtle colour changes in your wrap. X

My Creative Life said...

The weather is always an interesting source of conversation, particularly in comparing around the world. I hope your transport situation is sorted soon. Variegated yarns are delightful aren't they with the ever changing colours. Cx

Billie Jo said...

Hello!
I was just thinking today that it is impossible the year is half over!
Love your color choice for your beautiful project.
Have a cozy evening, my friend.