Sunday 23 December 2018

It's almost Christmas

I have to say that I'm glad I was organised last month and got most of my Christmas shopping done as it's made this last week leading into the big day quite relaxed.  

Everything is very low key here right now which is good because it's really hot and STEAMY.  It's usually pretty humid around these parts but it has been pretty incredible the last few days and it really doesn't feel very Christmassy.

We've been putting the air conditioners on early and Patch and I have been able to go for a really early walk before it gets too hot.  It's certainly not cool at all but it is a bit more bearable than a little later in the morning.

I've still been working through my yarn stash and I'm happy to say that it has dwindled greatly in the second half of 2018.

My latest make I've started is a wrap in a beautiful brushed alpaca silk.  It's taken a bit to get used to using the brushed alpaca and I wasn't sure I liked it at first.  It's so light and soft and the wrap feels like air or a soft cloud already but you don't want to make a mistake with this yarn as it can easily snap off if it gets caught when you're working with it.

We are becoming firm friends now though and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out once it's finished and blocked.  All in good time though.




A few little extra gifts have been made and are now wrapped and under the tree.  

Buying what gifts I needed to a few weeks ago and making some others has meant that I haven't needed to go anywhere near the big shopping centres in the last couple of weeks which is a blessing.  The volume of people rushing around this close to Christmas would send me into a meltdown!




I've also made another summer poncho but went up a hook size this time to make it a little more open.  I love it but I have to say that I like the original one better.  This one will be perfect at the beach though.

Oh, and there was only one join in the three balls when I was making it so that made me much happier!




It's not just all been crochet though.  We've had plenty of rain during the first week of the school holidays and Master M was sick the first few days so I did get plenty of happy hooky time, but I've been preparing for Christmas as well.

I haven't felt stressed this year which is good and have just been making one or two things each day.  Anything that can be frozen has been made early which leaves just a few things I need to do over the next couple of days.  

Gingerbread muffins have been made, some with cream cheese icing and some plain.  These are a perfect Christmassy snack and are fantastic for breakfast.

 Cheesecake, parmesan shortbread and Irish coffee brownies (with a good dollop of Baileys :) are on the list to be tackled over the next two days as well as roasting a stuffed turkey breast which is to be sliced up and eaten cold for lunch on the big day.




We're off to my sister's for Christmas lunch this year and we always have a cold lunch with plenty of salads (I'm making a mango salad).  I think we've only ever had one hot Christmas lunch in my whole life and I remember it being such a hot day with the ovens on and the barbeques cooking the meat.  Cold meat, prawns and salads are certainly much more enjoyable when it's hot.

I doubt I'll be popping in again before Christmas so I wish you all a wonderful, safe and happy day with your families or friends or whoever you enjoy your time with.  

Stay well my friends and Happy Holidays!

xx Susan




5 comments:

Christina said...

It is hard to imagine a Christmas in a hot climate! I am impressed that you can crochet when it is hot :-)
Wishing you a happy Christmas xx

Jane said...

Here it's cold and wet and damp and dismal :( It doesn't start to get light till about 8am and starts to go dark just after 4pm. We did have a bit of blue sky and sunshine today though. John and I are just starting to get over a real stonker of a cold; luckily this week was my last week of annual leave, so I'm really glad that I didn't have to drag myself into work sick! I hope you and your family a lovely time. Best, Jane x

Teresa Kasner said...

I must say that those ginger muffins look outstanding and I wish I had some on hand here for my breakfast! I'm glad to hear you're prepared ahead of time and are able to have a stress-free holiday time.

****************************************
*M*E*R*R*Y* * *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
****************************************

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

sewing green lady said...

The Christmas lunch was hot here, complete with Yorkshire puddings, do you have those there anytime? I think it would be a nice change to have a cold buffet style one year but I guess we all need warming up here this time of year. Hope you are all having a relaxing time.

Let's Get Sewing said...

Your crochet is beautiful! I love the wrap that your currently making, it will look great when finished.