Wednesday 21 November 2018

Summer breeze poncho

I wanted something to wear on a slightly cooler day in spring or on a summer evening.  Something that I could toss over a t-shirt (my standard uniform) if I'm heading out the door that would dress things up a bit but not overheat me too much.

I wanted some kind of wrap but really wanted my arms free so that I wasn't trying to fix it up all the time when it comes undone.

Light bulb moment was to make a poncho out of a wrap.  I had an idea of what I wanted but after trawling the net for patterns, I really couldn't find what I had pictured in my mind.

In the end I decided to make something up myself that makes it quite open and a bit of a lacy look to it.



I am so happy with the way it's turned out and have worn it a few times already, getting comments on it each time when I've been out and about.

I also love that if I change sides or the way it sits on my shoulder then I can change the neckline as well so it gives me a little variety.




I used 3 balls (100g each) of Caron Cotton Cakes in seaglass for this.  I chose it because I loved the colour and it was a cotton/acrylic mix so it would be perfect in our spring and on summer evenings.




It was nice to work with but the thing that got my goat was how many joins were in the balls.  I don't know if all of this brand is full of joins or I picked a bad bunch but out of the 7 balls I've used (4 for my Rainbow shawl), only one of them didn't have a join in it.  Two of them had 3 joins and the others had one or two in each of them.  The joins are just knots with the ends cut close so that you have big lumpy frayed bits sticking out of the yarn.

As I don't like big lumpy frayed bits in my work the easiest thing to do is cut the knot out of the yarn and continue on as if you were starting a brand new ball.  That meant I had many more joins and ends to tie in than I was happy with, especially when the last of the knots appeared when I was only about 10 centimetres from the end of the whole project.

That little bit of inconvenience aside, I love it.  I loved making it and I do really, really love the colours and the feel and the whole thing basically.  It's my new favourite!

xx Susan

4 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Bravo on coming up with your own design! I think it turned out wonderfully.. would love to see you model it for us so we can see how it looks on a real person. I hate yarn with a bunch of joins.. makes me very crabby!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jane said...

Lovely design! I love the colours too. I used to wear a red poncho with white tassels waaaay back in the 70's and I thought I was soooo trendy! I haven't worn a wrap or poncho in ages so I might think of making one. Maybe using one of the ripple patterns from my new book! :D x

sewing green lady said...

It turned out really lovely the colours remind me of the sea and the pattern too.

Lindy in Brisbane said...

What a lovely poncho, perfect for cooler nights at this time of year. What is that stitch pattern called? It's so pretty.