Monday 26 November 2018

Random moments

This last week and weekend has been filled with all the normal family things as well as organising school stuff in the lead up until the end of the year.  Only 3 weeks left before they're home for the summer break and I find myself desperately looking forward to them being home and wondering how long I'll actually cope with them underfoot every day.  Sometimes it's such a fine line.

Until then, I'm busy concentrating on what's in front of me and not thinking too far ahead and I'm finding that I'm slowly getting through my 'to do' list.

There has been sewing in the household of late.  I have finished the teacher's gifts but won't show you until after they have been given as I'm not 100% sure if any of them check in on my blog from time to time.

I also made some little Ouchie (or Owie) packs for one of the kids former teachers.  They're mini wheat/rice packs which go in the freezer instead of warmed up in the microwave (although you could do this too).  

I always had a couple in the freezer when the kids were little for those moments when they would get a little bump and it would be such a big crying drama.  The ouchie packs aren't as cold as ice packs for a bump you really can't see and gives them just a little comfort.

I made some for one of the teachers when Master M was in grade 1 and the other day she asked me to make some more as she loves using them in the classroom for her little charges.




Afternoon play fun has also been had with cousin R.  These two are not only cousins but best mates and are trying to spend as much time together before the school holidays as we won't see R for the first half of them.




A small, basic set of mittens has been made for Master M's school friend.  His friend loves the ones I made for Master M years ago and wanted a pair for himself.  Despite the heat he apparently wore them ALL day at school when he got them.





I've started a crochet commission for a friend too and have decided that some of this project will be worked in the day time only as it's black.  I'm finding that my eyes these days need that little bit of extra daylight to see the black stitches but I'm fine working the other colours at night though, thank goodness.




My lovely Uncle took my sister and I out for lunch the other day.  The company and conversation was wonderful and the food at La Dolce Vita restaurant at Bulcock Beach in Caloundra was superb.  Watching the stormy skies and moody ocean was a bonus too.





The only down spot of our lunch was the fact that I closed my thumb in the car door as we arrived and I sat through most of the meal with my throbbing thumb stuck in a glass of cold water and ice!

A few days later and I now have the loveliest deep purple and black colours halfway up my thumb.  I'm hoping that I'll still keep the nail.






A note from Master M to hubby (and hubby's reply), left on the fridge.




The weekend has been a bit of a revolving door weekend.  That's what I call it when Master M and his mate N from across the road trade their time between the two houses.

Master M spent Friday night at Master N's place then they turned up at ours early Saturday morning and spent the day going between the two houses.  Master N then had a sleepover at our place on Saturday night so I made pies to keep the hordes happy. (I did cheat and used bought pastry)




X-box was played, the trampoline was jumped on, a ball was kicked and movies were watched.  (Miss R is hiding under her well used blanket on the floor)




Despite my sore thumb I have still been able to hold a hook so I've been able to work a little more on my commission project as well as my granny blanket using my stash.  I'm pleased to say that the stash is dwindling rather rapidly.  Yay!!




I hope you've all had a wonderful weekend and the weather is kind to you wherever you are in the world.

xx Susan



4 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello Susan!
Sorry about the thumb!
I know that hurts like crazy!
Looks as if you have had some fun times around your home with the kids.
Best wishes as you finish out the school year!

Jane said...

I remember when my kiddies would fall and there'd be a lot of crying. I tried to remember back to my own falls and I think a lot of the crying was sort of the shock of falling rather than any actual pain. The ouchie packs are a great idea. A kiss from mum could make anything better, but these are great for your teacher when the kids gets bumps at school. Your poor thumb! That definitely needs and ouchie pack LOL At least it doesn't stop you from crocheting! Best, Jane :) x

Country Rabbit said...

oucheeyyy! My partner has had a similar finger black and blue from a work related injury when dealing with large sheets of metal...hope yours mends quickly. meal looks delicious and what a lovely view to dine with , looks like you've been having lots of fun with family ;) xx

Teresa Kasner said...

Ouch, sorry about the smashed thumb! I'm glad you can still crochet, though, especially with a commission to finish. I hope they pay you lots! I'm doing my holiday cards over the weekend and today. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)