Tuesday 11 December 2018

Calendars

It's the time of year when Calendars of all descriptions seem to fill our lives.  Advent Calendars are popular of course and there are so many amazing ones out there.  It's also a time when we start thinking about wall and date calendars for the looming new year.

For the past decade I have given a calendar as a Christmas gift to Grandparents and Great Uncles.  They're loved by everyone as they're full of photos of the kids from the previous 12 months.  They're also a practical gift for people who don't really need anything.

Around October or November I start collating the photos from the year, picking out fun ones as well as beautiful ones.  Sometimes I realise that I don't have a photo of both kids together then I have to try and organise a happy photo of them together which is not always successful.

Below is a sneak peak of this years gift.  I won't show you more in case the recipients read this and we don't want to spoil it for them.




Lots of websites these days do photo gifts including calendars so you can pick which template you like, upload the photos, add them and faff around with them in the calendar then order it.  It's a great thing to do when you can't sleep at 3am.  By the time the sun comes up, half your Christmas shopping is done!

Last year I tried Vistaprint calendars for the first time and I was really unhappy with the quality of the calendar.  The cardboard was thin and cheap and as you'll notice in the next photo, the corners curled in rather quickly.  

This year I've gone back to my usual Snapfish site which is an Australian site.  They do great quality calendars and often offer discounts so you just need to be on the lookout.  For those in other countries, I'm sure there are some great local sites there too.  Just beware of cheap priced ones, it usually means cheap quality cardboard.




Advent calendars are also being opened every day here.  It's all chocolate (Master M) and candy (Miss R) for the kids.  I found some other ones that I thought they would like until I realised the cost of them and stuck with the sugar rush.  The kids love having a treat at breakfast at this time of the year!

In past years I've used the Advent Reindeer line which have pockets in the back of the stockings for treats.  When the kids were little I used to put in a rubber ball, a Christmas stamp, a lollipop or any other small (cheap) thing that I thought they would like.  By far the best year was when I printed out a Christmas colouring page and rolled it up like a scroll with a piece of ribbon.  They loved having a special colouring page each day.




I usually do a candle for myself but have found that in years past I would forget to blow it out and then two or three days would burn down at once.

No such problem this year as I found a tea light advent which has been perfect.




Behind day 1's little door was a sweet glass candle holder with gold stars on it.  Each day there's a candle with the loveliest Christmassy smell that I light and then let it burn out to its hearts content.  I don't have to worry about remembering to blow this one out!




The other calendar taking up my time at the moment is my financial calendar.  It's very simple really and is just a cheap one from the local discount stores.  I like to get a paper one each year as they're so much easier to write on and then start adding when bills and things are due.  

Only financial things go on this so I can keep track of when not only loans are due but our rates, electricity, water, car and boat registration as well as dog registration.  In the top corner I jot down what bills are due in that month so I never have any nasty surprises.



It certainly makes keeping a track of our finances so much easier and I can quickly look at it to see what's coming up in the future.  I also started keeping track of it this way because hubby's not the greatest when it comes to finances and it's quick and easy for him to see what's going on too.  Not that he usually looks at it though, he still asks me!


What calendar things do you have going on at the moment?  I like being organised so if you've got some ideas please share!

I hope you are enjoying your week my friends.

xx Susan

2 comments:

Christina said...

You are organised!

We have two re usable advent calendars that the kids share between them. My mum made those when we only had two children but she never got around to make another two. Nowadays, it is just filled with two small chocolates everyday, which everybody likes. I don't keep any other calendars, all in my head (or not). I do have to use one at work for meetings etc but this is online, not on paper and I use it to keep track of what I have done rather than for planning. For money matters, I used to keep an excel spread sheet for budgeting but we are now a bit less cash poor because I work full time and I am not so good at keeping this going. I always covet a nice leather bound Filofax or something but I know I wouldn't use it, or lose it.

Have a lovely day x

Teresa Kasner said...

How wonderful to make your own calendars! I bought a yarn advent calendar this year and have been having fun opening a package each day. I keep my daily calendar on my computer.
****************************************
*M*E*R*R*Y* * *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
****************************************
((hugs)), Teresa :-)