Sunday 16 December 2018

Headbands and other ramblings

Christmas seems to be hurtling closer but everything has come to a bit of a grinding halt around here this weekend.

Making it through the last couple of weeks of school for the year is usually a bit of a challenge and I had the added bonus of being sick and having a horrendous cough that I couldn't shake.  It was exhausting, draining and very annoying, especially as I'm rarely sick so I can't say that I coped all that well with not being able to get as much done as I would have liked.

The bonus of being sick is that I ended up having to rest a lot more than I usually would and since I can't just lay or sit there without doing something, I got plenty of crochet done.

I've finished my commission for a friend which was a number of headbands.  She wears them all the time and wanted them specifically in black and white.  I've got 8 of them completed and ready to go for any season she wishes.  She also wanted them a certain width so I ended up working on a couple of easy patterns so that I could adjust them to any size.




She now has some lacy ones for summer and some a little denser for cooler weather.

I have to admit I've had fun making them and ended up making a few extra smaller coloured ones for a friend's daughters.




There has also been some Christmas baking although not as much as I had planned.

Gingerbread and cupcakes were made for school end of year parties (or fiesta as Master M called it).  






School is now out for the year and we all seem to have let out a collective sigh and just flopped about after the whirlwind of the past few weeks.  I'm feeling better but Master M has been a bit sick so it's back to being up and down like a yo-yo at night and pottering about during the day.

Luckily it's been raining quite a bit as a result of the Cyclone north of us which has made it perfect for a quiet start to the holidays.

I've asked the kids what they would like to do over the holidays and of course the Zoo is usually the number one thing that comes up.  Master M wants to go on picnics and go camping and Miss R hasn't a clue but will be very vocal when we do something she doesn't want to do (which will be most things her brother requests).

It's early Sunday morning here and I'm enjoying the quiet of a house with sleeping children inside and the world waking up outside.  The birds are noisy and active already, and the light is gently creeping into the house.  In the distance is the rumble of thunder and the promise of an early morning storm which is the perfect way to start the day.

Later I'll be going through my Christmas 'to do' list which has been sadly neglected lately and see what I can get a head start on.  Perhaps I will just do some Christmas baking as I seem to be in the mood to potter about the kitchen today.

Enjoy your weekend my friends.

xx Susan

3 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello!
Your cupcakes look delicious!
I hope you are feeling better.
We passed around an annoying cold and cough here.
I swear it hung around like an unwanted guest for three weeks!
I love your writing about the quiet time in the morning as your littles sleep.
I do the same thing.
So peaceful.
Have a cozy week as we prepare for Christmas!

Jane said...

Coughs and colds here too. Work has been one resident after another going down with a chest infection :( Nothing to be done but lots of fluids and TLC. John has also come down with a nasty cold. He stayed in bed all day, got up for an hour and has gone back again, poor lamb :( Your cookies and cupcakes look delicious. I hope you all feel better soon. Best, Jane x

eclectichomelife said...

Hope you are feeling better, love your baking, that sums up the lead up to Christmas for me, baking and making ready for the family and friends time to be had.