Friday 7 December 2018

Shopping totes

For many years I've been making shopping bags for the kids school teachers for their end of year/ Christmas gift.  I first began making them for myself to use up some fabric then started giving them out as gifts for family and friends.

This year they have become an even more significant gift since Australian laws changed earlier in the year and there is now a ban on single use plastic bags.  It's an awesome initiative and covers all retail establishments, not just grocery stores.

These bags aren't just quickly whipped up either as they're fully lined and I even add a box like structure to them.  Of course I like them to be pretty too.

With the amount of fabric I had I was able to make two of each of the bags so I have a few extra in my gift cupboard to hand out when the need arises during the year.





Not only are they fully lined but I like to give them a bit of a box shape just like the old brown paper bags.  These are much sturdier though!













So another school year is almost done, gifts have been handed out and I'm trying to cope with the whirlwind that is the end of the school year before I have to deal with the kids 24/7 until the end of January.




I hope everyone's Christmas plans are coming together and that you have a wonderful weekend wherever in the world you are.

xx Susan

4 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Wow.. I'm so impressed with your bags you've made! I think it's wonderful that your country is outlawing one use plastic bags. We're heading that way here in the USA.. I hope. I try to use reusable bags when I shop.

*********************************************
*H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*
*********************************************

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jane said...

We too have a ban on single use plastic bags. We can buy strong plastic bags from 10p to £1 and these can be exchanged for free when they wear out, these are called 'bag for life'. You can also buy hessian, cotton and hemp bags from as little as £1.50. We have 5 strong hessian and hemp bags and a few plastic ones that we use for raw meat and frozen stuff. Your hand made bags are really gorgeous and will last for years. Lucky teachers! Best, Jane :) x

Meg said...

Great totes! I love the way you have boxed and lined them. I am sure the teachers who receive them will really appreciate your handmade presents. Really thoughtful idea! Meg🍎

Christina said...

Love these boxy tote bags, practical and pretty is always a winning combination :-)
December can be a bit hectic but I do quite like it. Having said that, we are easy to please and don't engage much with the pre-Christmas madness. I am slightly ashamed to admit that I didn't go to the school fair this year.... Have a good Sunday xx