Tuesday 1 October 2019

Careful what you wish for

You may remember in my last post that I mentioned a storm was building up and I didn't think we were going to get much out of it.

The below photo was taken about 10 minutes before I headed to my Mum's for my nephews birthday where we were going to enjoy cake for afternoon tea.  She doesn't live very far from me and 99% of the time when a storm is south of us, like in the picture, we're lucky if we get a few spots of rain.



Just as I was walking inside at Mum's the first drops of rain started.

Not long later, we were all inside (6 pre-teens and teens and 6 adults - very noisy), when we heard the distinctive plink..plink on the tin roof.  Everyone stopped for a second then rushed to the windows to see a few pieces of hail landing on the lawn.

Moments later it was coming down like snow!





It lasted for a good 10 minutes, maybe more and I have to admit it was pretty exciting.  The only thing I was worried about was my car as well as my sister's and Uncle's cars which were sitting out in the street bearing the brunt of the hail.



Miraculously there were no broken windscreens and only a few small dints in the cars which we can't believe but are grateful for none the less.




I'll leave you with about a 15 second video that I took so you can hear the hail on the roof and see it falling.  I hope it works okay as I've never posted a video before.

I also stopped filming early because I didn't think you would hear much of the hail on the roof.  At the time there were 6 kids and 3 or 4 adults on the verandah watching it and everyone was yelling and squealing and exclaiming so loudly and all at once. 

 I didn't think you would hear the hail over the noise of everyone but I needn't have bothered as when you listen you can hardly hear the people, that's how loud the hail was.

Enjoy!


Have a wonderful week everyone.

xx Susan



5 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Your video turned out great and you can hear the hail clearly! It looks like you had a great party and everyone had fun. What a nice tidy yard your mum has. Have a super week. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

sustainablemum said...

Wow that is very loud hail! Such bit pieces, I am glad to hear that there was little damage to the cars out in it. Sounds like the party was great fun.

Jules said...

The hail is the size of marbles! I'm glad you didn't suffer any damage. X

Jane said...

Great video! WOW I've never seen hail that big! I'm glad there was no damage and I hope you had a lovely party. Best, Jane x

Busy Bee Suz said...

Holy mackerel!! That was quite the hail storm; so lucky nothing was severly damaged.