Monday 12 August 2019

Back into the swing

I wouldn't say the last couple of weeks have been hectic but they've been very up and down.  I'm not sure how else to describe it really but it seems when we've had the down moments, hubby's been at work and I've had to hold the fort.

I'm used to it but it can wear you down and I ended up crashing down with a bit of a thud last week after days of picking kids up early from school for appointments or because they were sick or because they weren't coping with certain things.

So I've pretty well been away from the computer and dealing with what needs to be done around here.  Thank goodness hubby was actually home for a whole weekend as he was able to take on some of the load and I could start putting myself back together.



I haven't been crocheting much either but on the weekend my mojo started to kick back in and I picked up the hook and started on something easy.  I've decided to make a table runner for our old and scuffed dining table and after a few stops and starts, decided on a simple mesh stitch because it was the first thing I worked on that I could vision on our table.

The above photo is the start of the table runner and is my usual 'start of a project photo' that I take to remind myself of what size hook I'm using.  I can't tell you the amount of times I've forgotten about a project then months later when I find it again, I can't remember what hook I was using.  Now I take a quick snap and I haven't had a problem since. 



On Saturday, while hubby held the fort, I escaped for a few hours.  I took a basket with a picnic blanket, my latest library book, some yarn and hook and my camera.

I found a quiet spot to park myself for a few hours and read my book for a bit, crocheted something random, drank tea, ate chocolate and just soaked in the view and the quiet of my chosen spot.

Actually it wasn't really quiet because it was blowing a gale so the wind was a constant companion but it was better than being in an overcrowded shopping centre somewhere.



I chatted to a few people wandering along the path by my picnic table, mainly when I had my crochet out as it's amazing how many people ask what you're making.

I also watched the most gorgeous pelican float around a man with his cast net for about half an hour.  I'm sure it was hoping for an easy feed but no such luck was to be had and it eventually flew off.




So the batteries are recharged again which is just as well as I've just checked hubby's schedule and he'll be away for the next two weekends.



Over the next few days I'll catch up with my blog friends and slowly work my way through my 'to do' list and keep on top of things as much as possible.

All I can say is...thank goodness for slow cookers!

Have a great week my friends.

xx Susan


3 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my friend!
You inspire me to take moments for myself to recharge and relax.
So thank you for that!
Slow cookers are the best, right?
Last week I threw some precooked seasoned frozen chicken breast pieces in, dumped in a jar of salsa, and let it cook all day.
I made some rice in the rice cooker, and we had an amazing meal!
Have a cozy day, and thanks for the beautiful photos and thoughts. : )

Teresa Kasner said...

I'm glad your husband took over and let you go off for a quiet time by yourself. Good man. My time is swimming.. I think the whole time. I love your crochet projects, I'm working on my shell blanket and have another one to do when this one is finished.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Country Rabbit said...

i sooo love the sunset blog header when i visit your site, such a warm feeling it gives...especially as we have had stormy gloomy weather here the last week and just glimpses of sun in between...i must find time to pick up the crochet hook again...so many talented crochet posts on blogger like yourself. we all need these moments to do our 'me' things and re-charge our batteries, as woman we have to juggle so much... big hugs, ;) x