Thursday 29 August 2019

A Class Excursion

I realise now that I couldn't be a teacher.  Not that I ever had any aspirations of becoming a teacher, but after a day out on excursion with Master M's class, I know it will never happen.

Having said that, I enjoyed my day.

The day didn't start off brilliantly for us as Miss R was sick during the night so I had been up very early dealing with a sick girl and having to throw a load of washing on at about 4am.

Luckily hubby arrived home from work about 3am so he could look after our girl for the day.  Master M and I were able to head off knowing that the other half of the family were going to have a day in bed.

We headed into Brisbane city for the day and the first stop for our group was the SparkLab Science Centre.  It was so much fun.

I won't show too many photos as a lot of the ones I took had other children from the class in them.  It's very hands on with around 40 interactive exhibits that you can play with, design and build things and test how others work.



My favourite thing was the huge globe.  I've always loved maps and globes and this one you could change to show images of the earth in 24 hour time so you can see where it's night and day time.  

You could click on a more traditional image with the continents and countries distinguished.



You could also bring up the sun, the moon, Venus, Mars and other planets or their moon's as well.  I could have played with it all day but as it was the kids day out I thought I showed great restraint and didn't takeover when they were using it.








The second half of our day was spent at Queensland's Parliament House.




It's a beautiful building but no photos were allowed except for the main staircase.  A minute before  I took the below photo it was full of school kids sitting on the stairs for their group photo.




We don't have many buildings like this in Queensland so it was lovely to explore a small part of it.




We arrived home pretty tired but enjoyed our day.  Master M really loved the SparkLab but struggled at Parliament House and then the bus drive home was long (traffic) and very noisy with excited kids so he was really happy to get home to the familiar quiet of our house.

I hope you are all enjoying your week.

xx Susan


4 comments:

Jules said...

It sounds like a fun day out and yes, I think all teachers deserve a medal.
I hope Miss R is feeling better now. X

Jane said...

What a great day out! I'd love to see your Parliament House, what a grand building! I love science and the last time we wen to London, way back in '02, we went to all the museums and galleries, but I loved the Science Museum best. I hope Miss R is fully recovered, Best, Jane x

CJ said...

I know what you mean, I would struggle to be a teacher as well, it's all far too lively for me, I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Glad you had a good day though, it sounds like a brilliant trip. Sorry Miss R was ill, I hope she's all better now. CJ xx

Teresa Kasner said...

You're a good mom to go along on the field trip. I taught some calligraphy to small groups and it wasn't too bad but could never do teaching all day, the same thing 6 or 7 times a day. I'd go nuts. It's good your husband was able to step in and care for your daughter so you could go with your son. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)