Tuesday 30 July 2019

A Coastal Walk - Kings Beach to Shelly Beach

We have been experiencing some pretty gorgeous weather here lately and last week I just couldn't faff about at home any longer.

I was lucky that the gorgeous weather coincided with a few days when lovely hubby was home mid-week.  After dropping the kids at school and walking Patch, I became really, really fidgety about being at home (not a normal thing for me).

Without too much thought, we jumped in the car and headed to Caloundra as I really needed a good dose of the ocean.  I hadn't done one of my 'walks' in ages and I was really missing getting out and exploring my local area.

The last time I walked around the coastline here in Caloundra it was from Bulcock Beach to Kings Beach and you can read more about it here.

I decided to continue onto the next section so started at Kings Beach, near the Surf Club and the swimming pool which is where I finished my last walk.



This section meanders up around the headland so it requires a little more exertion than walking along the flat boardwalk but not much more.

I took my time exploring so I could soak in the views and marvel at how calm it was on that particular day.  Hubby was a bit miffed when he realised how flat it was as he could've taken the boat out so lets hope it's nice like this next time he's home.




This particular section of the coastline isn't that long really but is quite significant.  Not far from Kings Beach is the Centaur Memorial  commemorating the hospital ship the Centaur which was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine off the coast in 1943.  Only 64 people survived the attack out of over 300 who were on board the ship.






For about a 600 metre stretch along this section of the headland is the Caloundra Memorial Walkway which displays dedication plaques for remembrance of service. 

Friends and family of those who served our country are able to commission a memorial plaque to be placed on the walkway.









There's also a special wall commemorating the men and women who have served in the volunteer Coast Guard as well.



A little further along is Anzac Park which is where the Dawn Service is held here in Caloundra every April 25th on Anzac Day.

We've been going to the local service most years (although we missed this year with Miss R getting her appendix out).

The Dawn Service here in Caloundra is on my list of things to do. I think it would be pretty moving experiencing the service as the sun comes up over the ocean.




Access to the rocky headland and water is pretty easy from the Anzac memorial and I ended up spending plenty of time perched on a rock soaking in the view and sounds of the ocean.




I love being able to look back over Caloundra and see the Glasshouse Mountains in the distance.  We really are pretty blessed to have grown up and now live in such a beautiful area.




Last time I took a walk around the area there was a small shark in the shallows.  This time I was able to watch the antics of a turtle floating around just a couple of metres off the rocks in the photo below.

I tried to get a good photo of it but nothing turned out well so you'll just have to believe me. :) 



From the point of the headland the view is pretty well nothing but ocean and apart from many of the Pacific Island nations like Fiji, Tonga, New Caledonia and Vanuatu, the next major landmass is America.

Hello to all my American friends (North and South) across the big puddle!




What a perfect spot for a picnic.




A little further on I ended up at Shelly Beach which was my destination for the day.  This is one of our favourite beaches in Caloundra but we never swim here as it's not patrolled.




It's a great beach for exploration because of the rock pools and is the perfect spot for picnics (great views, a playground and most importantly...toilets).





I can't believe it's almost a week since I did this walk now and I can tell you that the weather is still gorgeous.  So much so that I can't wait to get out and explore the next section of the coast.

xx Susan




4 comments:

Jules said...

It's so beautiful. I'm not surprised you were feeling fidgety at home when you had the opportunity to go for a walk by the ocean.
I hope the weather stays nice for you so can explore some more. X

Christina said...

Beautiful beaches! I am not surprised you were fidgety at home, knowing you have this beauty just around the corner. x

sewing green lady said...

You are truly blessed living in such a gorgeous place. I don't think I'd ever want to be inside. Thank you for the tour. x

Teresa Kasner said...

Wow.. you're so lucky to have that wonderful ocean close to you. Such a nice outing for you and your husband. The sea scenes soothed my troubled soul. ((hugs)), Teresa