Monday 8 July 2019

Knitfest 2019

This is the fourth year the Knitfest Festival has been held in Maleny and the first year I've been able to attend.

The weather for the weekend was a little typical of Maleny, which means it was misty, rainy and cool.  Quite perfect for celebrating all things yarn I think although perhaps not as great for walking around in.


There was some pretty spectacular yarn bombing going on around town.  One of my favourites would have to be Scarlett the car which sat outside Knitting Central for the weekend.  A lot of work went into creating this car cover made almost entirely of granny squares.




Maleny is also very much a dairy farming community and the metal cows on the way into town got a bit of a dressing up too.






The main venue housed plenty of stalls where you could purchase some gorgeous hand dyed yarn as well as plenty of other yarn related things.



















There were workshops throughout the weekend working with all kinds of creative mediums.  There were knitting and crochet workshops as well as felting and the basket weaving one seemed pretty popular.

I didn't participate in any of the workshops this year but perhaps next year I'll be a little more organised and see what's available before I head up there for the day.



I loved the Knitfest bus which did a loop of the town and connected people to the different Knitfest venues, the main street and a couple of designated parking areas.  The gorgeous bunting and colourful blankets certainly helped keep everyone cosy on a cool and misty weekend.



I would love to have gone to see the Raw Fleece expo but it was only held on the Saturday and as Miss R had an appointment I was unable to go that day.  As I said, I'll try and plan things a bit better next year so I can get to see everything.











I spent a wonderful few hours with my sister wandering about the place, testing my willpower with regards to yarn purchases and just having a general mooch about the town.



The question remains as to whether I purchased anything or not?  Of course I did, but not what you probably would expect.

I'm surprised at my willpower and in the end didn't buy any yarn even though I saw plenty I liked.  I think going through my stash the day before made me realise exactly how much I have on my shelves and a lot of it I can buy online now that I've seen it up close and had a squish of it.

I did buy some cute little stitch markers though.  A tea pot and cupcakes are the perfect addition to add to my sweet little stitch marker tin and have already had some use.



It's still school holidays here and we're having plenty of slothing about time as well as some outings to mix things up a bit.  Nothing has been too strenuous though and I can't see that changing anytime in the next few days.

Enjoy your week!

xx Susan



3 comments:

sewing green lady said...

That looks such good fun! I love the last image with all the items hanging from the tree. The little stitch markers are cute too. x

Teresa Kasner said...

What a fun event you got to attend! I enjoyed seeing your photos. I can't imagine not buying at least one skein of yarn.. the stitch markers are very cute! I re-strung my broken turquoise bracelet on Sunday. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

My Creative Life said...

It looks a lot of fun Susan, I'm glad you had the opportunity to go. Thankyou for sharing your photos. I'm going to Yarndale this year, never been before. It's all in one place though. The knit & natter group are going & I'm looking forward to it. Cx