Friday 19 July 2019

Catching up

I can't believe the first week of the school term is nearly done and dusted.

My week has mostly revolved around catching up on the things I didn't get done over the school holidays.  The first few days are usually a whirlwind of tidying and cleaning as not much of that seems to get done on the holidays.  There's nothing like putting things to rights in the house to help you get back into the school routine.

On the crochet front, I feel I haven't been getting a great deal done but when I've looked back through my photos I realised I have achieved something at least.

The wrap I was working on using the Scheepjes Whirl in Green Tea Tipple (love that name!), was finished during the school holidays and has been worn a few times already since it's been a little on the chilly side here lately.




Don't you love it when a design you make up works out how you want it to.  I wanted a rectangular wrap that can easily be worn as a scarf but has a bit of texture to it to make it interesting.




I'm in the process of writing up the pattern but that requires a bit more organisation on my part right now.  I'll get there eventually.




Once I finished the wrap I wanted something easy to work on during the school holidays.  It needed to be something I could put down quickly and start up again easily without too much faffing about trying to work out where I was up to.

I went through my stash and found one 200gram ball of wool which I know is from Bendigo Woollen Mills but I've lost the tag so I'm not sure if it's pure wool or a wool mix.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the fibres by looking and feeling a ball of yarn but it's lovely to work with.  It's also coming together pretty quickly when I get the chance to work on it as it's 8ply so this wrap will be lovely and warm.




I'm in the mood to make a blanket too.  I haven't made one in ages and my fingers are itching to start another big project.  Hubby and I don't have a handmade blanket on our bed, we do have our Wedding quilt which his Aunt made for us when we got married but it's getting a bit worn and in winter we need a few extra layers on the bed.

Since it will be a bigger blanket than I normally make, I'm letting the idea simmer in the background until I have more of a concrete plan for what I want.  I'll keep you posted when I work out what I'm going to do.


We are experiencing some pretty amazing blue winter skies at the moment as well.  Most days there isn't a cloud in the sky but the sneaky westerly winds are keeping the temperatures cool so that we can enjoy some winter.  I'm lapping up the cool weather while I can and trying to wear as many scarves and shawls as possible because all too soon it will heat up again.




I hope you're all having a fabulous week and looking forward to the weekend.

xx Susan



4 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Beautiful!
You are quite talented, my friend.
If only we lived closer.
You could teach me!

Teresa Kasner said...

I really like the shawl you made at the top.. I love the colors and how they melt together, bravo! The 2nd project is also lovely, the pattern is very nice.. I'm not sure I've ever seen that, lots of texture. Enjoy your fair weather. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Christina said...

The weekend can't come fast enough! Work during the school holidays is somewhat tricky but needs must...
Your scarf/shawl reflects the colours of nature around you, lovely. It'll be scarf time soon again here. Well, three months but time is passing by really quickly. Have a lovely weekend.

Let's Get Sewing said...

This is a lovely shawl, the colours look wonderful together.