Friday 10 May 2019

Yarn Trail - Crochet Australia

You may remember back in January that I had the idea of heading off on my own personal yarn trail to find sources of yarn locally to me.

Well I've found another place a little closer to home this time (just over 30 minutes drive) at Yandina here in Queensland.

The place is called Crochet Australia and I had been on their website before but didn't realise that they were so close to me.




The warehouse itself is easy to get to as it's just off the main highway and easy to find as well.

It's also like an Aladdin's cave inside and I  was pretty excited and a bit overwhelmed when I walked in the door.




There are floor to ceiling shelves full of lots of yarny goodness.  

There were plenty of acrylics which I didn't even have a look at the day I was there as thank goodness I was on a mission and knew what I wanted.  Trust me when I say I saved myself lots of money as I could have stocked up quite a bit.

If it's crochet cotton you're looking for then this is definitely the place as there was so much to choose from.  I won't admit as to whether a few balls of Catona cotton may or may not have ended up in my basket. (Not pictured as I was too busy checking out the colours - gorgeous!)





The main reason why I was there was for the Scheepjes Whirl which I had looked up online and had decided which one I wanted to try for a particular project.  That's when I found out that Crochet Australia stock it and it was in easy driving distance.

I could have gone home with quite a few balls as some of the colour combinations are amazing.  I was very good though and bought the one I wanted although don't praise me for my incredible will power just yet as on the shelf above they had some Scheepjes stonewashed which is a cotton blend.




It was too squishy and gorgeous to not to buy some of it, especially the Turquoise which was screaming at me to jump into the basket.  I had to oblige of course.

So I've worked on a reasonably quick project this past week and have made my Posies in a Row shawl in the turquoise Stonewashed.





I did have to make a few adjustments to the pattern as it's written for 4ply and this is a 5ply yarn.  I changed hook size and a few other things and have written the changes in the notes section on my Ravelry page here if anyone is interested.




The Whirl is being used too although the project is a little slow going at the moment.  The name of this one is Slice 'O' Cherry Pie and I can't wait until the pinks and purples start to ease their way into the shawl.  I'm enjoying making this one and will keep you posted on its progress.




We have a busy weekend coming up with family time and Mothers Day on Sunday.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

xx Susan

Nearly forgot:  Crochet Australia also hold classes on a Tuesday morning and you can either work on the particular monthly project they have or take your own projects along if you wish.

4 comments:

My Creative Life said...

Wow what a yarn filled goodie store, thankyou for a tour round. My knit & natter group went to a wool warehouse a few weeks ago, though I didn't take pictures. They'd love it here! Enjoy your purchases, Cathy x

Christina said...

This reminds me of a wool warehouse back in Switzerland, where I sometimes visit. Lots of choices there, glad you enjoyed it without completely breaking the bank :-)

Jane said...

The stonewashed yarn looks divine. I've seen quite a bit of crochet work in this yarn and would love to try it one day. However, my crochet skills are not up to expensive yarn yet. I'm still doing granny stitch with Stylecraft DK. When I get more confident I'll splash out on something a bit more expensive than £2 a ball. Best, Jane :)

Teresa Kasner said...

What a wonderful place you found! I know how you feel about the slow color change in the yarn you're making the shawl with, mine was yellow for the longest time. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)