Tuesday 7 May 2019

Handbags

I feel like we're slowly settling into our usual school term routines again.  It's taken awhile and I feel like I'm getting back on the right track after travelling on a parallel one for a little while that was the same, but not the same if you know what I mean.

First it was two weeks of school holidays which always send the routines a little off track, then I headed off for my little jaunt in the city until I got the phone call that Miss R was in hospital.

She was home all last week and has recovered well and headed off to school today quite happily which made this Mum very happy too.

In the midst of all that, I managed to crochet quite a few things.  I had started on a shoulder bag just before my few days away which I worked on while travelling on the train and finished early on my first morning there.

It ended up not being as big as I wanted it to be and I made shorter handles to make it into a handbag rather than shoulder bag because I didn't have enough yarn.  It was a Caron Cotton Cake (not a full ball), leftover from a previous project and I was trying out an idea I had.

I do love the stripes and the texture of it though.




I did take some other yarn with me to start working on a scarf but decided that I really wanted to make another bag.

Luckily for me I found one shop in the middle of the city, open on a public holiday, which sold yarn. 

Yay! 




The 8ply cotton colour selection wasn't that great but I did find some that I knew I could make work and be happy with.

Thank goodness I had this project as it certainly calmed me while on the train home not knowing what was going on with my girl.

It was also the perfect project to work on while sitting around at the hospital and especially when Miss R was in surgery.




I now have one finished shoulder bag although it's not fully completed yet as I want to add a lining to it and maybe a small embellishment but I don't have any fabric in my stash that matches the colours.

Until I get the chance to go to the fabric store, I can start on the next bag.  I've got enough of the chocolate and parchment colours to make another one but with the lighter parchment as the main colour.  I also bought some navy and silver which I'll mix and match so I should get another 3 bags out of what I have.

The first handbag has also turned out to be the perfect size to hold my cotton stash in too so I don't think I'll bother lining it with fabric as I can see this will be the main use for this bag in the future.




As for getting back into routines.....

Patch and I have also been for our first walk in our favourite place in over a month.  We have both desperately missed our morning walks.  The track is still quite muddy from recent rain and it's getting a bit overgrown but we don't mind one little bit.  I think we both had huge grins on our face this morning as we trotted along (well he ran then trotted and I just walked).




I hope you are all having a wonderful week where you are.  We are experiencing the most gorgeous Autumn weather here right now.  Clear skies, cooler days in the mid  20 Celsius and cooler nights where we have to pull up the blankets and snuggle under.  LOVING IT!!

xx Susan


2 comments:

Jane said...

Your bags are wonderful! I'm not a bag person though. I only have two shoulder bags; one for carrying my tablet, notebook, pen etc for Kingdom meetings and a smaller one for carrying the bits and bobs I need for work. I ride my bike everywhere and a shoulder bag is ideal. I'm happy to here your daughter is recovered and back at school and that you're able to get back into your normal routines again. Best, Jane :)

My Creative Life said...

Your bags are great, I love bags and have often bought a new one at craft fairs. I tend to stick to the same handbag but I have many handheld bags for allsorts - craft, shopping, visiting family etc. I'm pleased your daughter is on the mend, what a worry for you. It's good the weather was perfect for dog walking, it make all the difference, Cathy x