Tuesday 21 May 2019

Forty-five

Monday saw me celebrate another year, in this case it was my 45th Birthday.

I didn't have any plans except to spend the day with lovely hubby after the kids had gone to school.

How well he knows how much I love to go for a drive, even when it's cool, raining and misty.  That's usually the perfect stay-at-home kind of weather but it was nice to be driving around in it as long as I wasn't the one behind the wheel.





We headed up Maleny way and the more we climbed, the cloudier it got.  It brought back many memories of taking the same route in the school bus when I was in high school although the road was a bit more of a goat track back then.

Hubby was going to take me somewhere so we could go for a bushwalk but the weather wasn't very walk friendly and we weren't dressed for it either so we sort of did a bit of a funny loop through many of the hinterland back roads, avoiding most of the traffic.



He ended up taking me to Rick's Garage  for lunch which is a bit of an institution in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.




It's an old garage and auto workshop that has been converted into a diner chock full of memorabilia.  Everywhere you look there's something to capture your attention or read and the atmosphere is pretty fun.




The place is popular for its live music on the weekends and also has a Whiskey Bar which is open on Thursday's through to Sunday (I think..).




Being a diner, burgers are the main food staple of the place but there is also a choice of a couple of seafood meals as well as some salads if that's what you prefer. They also serve Ribs later in the week but as it was a Monday it was the basic menu for us.  We went for the burgers of course which were huge and very filling.




The bar area reflects the restaurant's former life with plenty of chrome and memorabilia throughout.




There's even a beer garden to one side which is on the site of the old scrap yard (cleaned up now of course!)






Thank you lovely hubby for a wonderful 'me' kind of day for my birthday.  I do love a drive and good food.

We also celebrated with cake once the kids got home from school and other members of my family came to visit to help eat the cake because there was plenty!  No photos though.

Wishing you all a wonderful week and for those of my blogging friends who are struggling a little right now for various reasons, I send you hugs, warm thoughts and good luck wishes.

xx Susan


5 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Happy Birthday dear friend!!!!!!!
What a beautiful way to spend your special day.
The burgers looked amazing, and cake with the family is even better.
Have a lovely week!

My Creative Life said...

Happy Birthday! My car loving husband would love a diner like that wow! It does look fun, glad you enjoyed your day. Cathy x

Teresa Kasner said...

*H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to you and what a nice day - a date with your guy. I'm glad you also had cake and family to come later and help you celebrate. Thank you for your thoughts for your blog friends who are having a rough time.. you're sweet.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jane said...

What a lovely day out! The diner looks fantastic and I love those bar stools. That burger looks big enough to fill the whole family on it's own!! Shame it was cold and wet, but I'm glad it didn't dampen your day. Best, Jane x

Christina said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you had a fabulous day. The dinner is a place where I'd love to visit, it looks like a fun place to go x