Wednesday 19 September 2018

Crochet update

I have been busy on the crochet front since I finished Miss R's blanket a few weeks ago.  

I've had a few portable projects on the go for when I've been out and about, or just to work on something quick when I'm at home.

My 'go to' projects seem to be dishcloths.  I love to try out new stitches and different brands of cotton and this is one of the best ways of doing that.  They're something that can be whipped up fairly quickly, they're useful and they're good for the environment so it's win-win all around.




I use a fresh one each day and then toss them in the washing machine with the tea towels once a week.  When they get old, stretched, smelly and just plain old manky, I throw them out knowing I've got some more lovely ones stashed away that I can use.




I've also been known to give them away as gifts when I get quite a pile of them.





The day after I finished Miss R's blanket I started on a shawl using Drops alpaca/silk.  It's gorgeous to work with and I finished it last week but have yet to block it.  I'll photograph the finished item and show you once I've got myself organised but below is a sneak preview of when it was being made.





Master M requested a scarf in some of the leftover colours from Miss R's blanket.  It's a basic treble crochet scarf in the back loop that came together quickly and easily.  He loves it!





I then decided to make a beanie to match which was quite fun to make except it's too big for him.  I made it in an adult male size for some reason but I do have enough yarn leftover to make one that's right for him.





There's no rush to get it done right now though as the weather is starting to warm up quickly so scarves and beanies will be put away until next year.  I'll try not to wait until next year though as I know the project will hang around the back of my thoughts, nagging at me until I get it done.





I have also bought some more fabric.  I do know I just decluttered my stash after the ant nest incident but I have a specific project in mind and the below fabric fits the bill.  I'll be using some of my stash as well so I'll keep you posted on this project.





Last weekend I decided that I really needed to sort through my yarn stash and ended up piling it all up on my bed.  It was a bit overwhelming to see it all in one place and realising just how much I had.

I've now sorted it into cotton, acrylic, wool, alpaca and any other special mixes that I have.  I've logged it, weighed some of the leftover yarn from projects (very organised I know), and now have a plethora of project ideas flitting around inside my head.  I'm starting to jot some of them down too so I can just look at my list and decide what I want to start on next.




(This is a pile of 200gm balls of pure alpaca yarn.  My lovely Mum gave most of them to me as she decided she wasn't going to use them and thought I would appreciate them and make something nice.  Isn't she sweet.)


We're in our last week of school for the term and lovely hubby is already off on holidays.  He's taken a few work blocks off which ends up giving him nearly 6 weeks at home with us. 

We do have plans to go away over the holidays but a lot of that time will just be doing family things together.  Hubby also plans to go fishing in the boat quite a bit so lets hope that it won't be too windy so that he will be able to get out on the water.  

I hope you're having a wonderful week and thank you so much for your lovely comments on my last post.  They were really appreciated and helped lift the mood.  Blogland really is such a lovely, caring community.

xx Susan








6 comments:

Angela Pitout said...

beautiful wok! i love the colours you choose.
ive also made dish cloths / face cloths for gifts with my handmade soaps

Teresa Kasner said...

Your dishcloths are very nice! I also like doing them in both knit and crochet. They do make a nice gift and are also handy in the kitchen. Your shawl looks wonderful, I look forward to seeing it all done and laid out. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Billie Jo said...

Hello!
I am visiting here from Angela's lovely space.
I enjoyed visiting with you, and am your newest follower.
Have a cozy day!

Tania said...

My favourite thing to make is dishcloths. I knit some and crochet some and they are easy to do when travelling in the car. Yours are really pretty and neat, mine are usually plain, mostly because I am lazy haha!

The alpaca wool from your mum is very pretty, I cant wait to see what you will make from it. So soft looking, it should create something beautiful.

Wishing you a lovely weekend Susan, I hope the weather is kind.

xTania

Meg said...

I love the little peek at your shawl, Susan. The colour is beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing it after you haver blocked it. I can't crochet so admire your skill in making things with this craft. Meg:)

CJ said...

The alpaca wool is lovely, and it will be deliciously warm. Great idea to always have a few dishcloths ready to use, smaller projects are really satisfying, especially when they're practical. I shall look forward to seeing what you make with the alpaca. I have used Drops Lima (which is partly alpaca) for a blanket, and it's scrumptiously warm. CJ xx