Sunday 23 September 2018

Water fun at the zoo

To get the kids off their screens last weekend, we went up to the zoo for an hour.

They have new fountains which the kids have wanted to play in and as it was quite a warm weekend, I thought I would let them cool off and have some fun.




I can tell that this is going to be very popular during our long, hot, sticky, humid summers.





They've made this section into a lovely area for families to sit and relax and take some time out of wandering around the zoo.  There's plenty of picnic tables and seats as well as lots of grass to loll about on.  I may need to bring a picnic blanket with me in future in case I can't get a seat.





It's also right near the Dingo Diner so you can grab something to eat or even just a coffee as you watch the kids play.  It looks like there's a new café and toilet block about to open right near it as well so I'm sure that will be popular over the summer months.





Being the zoo it's not your usual big water bucket spilling water onto the kids.  It happens to be a big frog that croaks then periodically a waterfall rushes out and then there's plenty of excited squealing.

A kookaburra joins in the fun as well and there's a crocodile and a very relaxed looking koala for the kids to climb on too.





As usual, I took the chance to start something new on my hook.  I had to unravel and start it a couple of times until I had something I was happy with as I've only got a small amount to work with.  This yarn is from my stash that I just sorted and I've only got about 3/4 of a skein of Noro yarn left from a project I worked on a while ago.





The kids wanted ice-cream afterwards but the clouds started to roll in and it cooled off pretty quickly.  I had told them it was a quick play time today and we weren't buying anything.  I want them to learn that you don't have to buy something every time you go out and it is possible to have fun without spending any money.  

Having said that, we do often buy an ice-cream in summer when we pop up for an hour or two.






I told you it was a relaxed koala.





I hope you have all been having some fun lately.

xx Susan

For those lovely new followers and readers that I have, you may not realise that we live only 3 kilometres from Australia Zoo, the home of Steve Irwin.  We've had annual passes since the kids were toddlers and head up there for a couple of hours every now and then to get out of the house and just enjoy the place.  If you want to see more of our adventures at the zoo over the years just click on the Australia Zoo section on the side bar.



5 comments:

Christina said...

This sure looks like a lot of fun!

CJ said...

It looks like brilliant fun, lucky you living so close. I hope you have lots of happy adventures there over the summer.

Meg said...

What great fun! That big frog spurting water out reminds me of the indigenous Dreamtime story about Tiddalick, the frog who drinks up all the water and then, after one of the other animals makes him laugh, releases it in a flood. Meg:)

Teresa Kasner said...

What a totally fun place to take your kids! I especially loved the big huge alligator. Have a wonderful week! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Country Rabbit said...

oh wow! what a wonderful place for kiddies~ that croc looked almost real! ;)
its nice to be out isnt it, cool off and you get to do the little things you love while they play x