Friday 31 August 2018

Miss R's blanket

I'm very, very happy to tell you that I've finally finished Miss R's blanket.

I can't believe I started this back in January and had planned to have it ready for her to use at the beginning of winter.  Well we're in the last week of winter here and it's finally done.

My girl picked the colours and pattern for this blanket and was even pretty adamant about the border colours.  There were a couple I would have changed if it was me, especially the Royal as I thought it was a bit too dark for the rest of the colours but that was her favourite so it stayed.  

I decided in the beginning that it was her blanket so I would make it how she wanted it and I'm so glad I did as she LOVES it so much.


The yarn and the colours used in the blanket are:

Stylecraft Special DK

The colours (in order of the stripe pattern in the blanket):

             1. Royal      2. Turquoise      3. Cloud Blue     4. Aster      5. Denim    
         6. Storm Blue     7. Silver      8. Aspen      9. Sherbet     10. Cream

I used about 1 1/2 balls of each yarn and repeated the same pattern of 10 colours.





After looking at patterns online and in my crochet books,  Miss R decided she wanted it to be made in the Neat Wave Pattern by Lucy of Attic 24.



I crocheted 322 rows or 161 colour stripes as each stripe was 2 rows of crochet.

The blanket ended up approximately 115 cm wide and just 252cm  long.  Yes it is a long blanket, longer than usual for a single bed blanket but there's a reason for that.

Miss R tosses and turn A LOT  and her bed has to virtually be completely remade each day because sheets and blankets get untucked and twisted.  I thought if I made her blanket extra long then we can really tuck it in well under the mattress and hopefully it will have a chance of staying on her bed.

So if I was making a normal single bed blanket then I probably would only have done about 121 colour repeats (242 rows).




The border was a very simple one of double crochet (UK/AUS terms).  I used 4 colours beginning with Denim.  The next three rows of double crochet were worked into the back loop of the previous row and were Silver, Aster and finally Royal on the outside.

There wasn't any inspiration for the colours of this blanket as she picked the ones she liked from a pile.  It wasn't until I was nearly finished and looking through some of my photographs that I realised the colours are very similar to Caloundra where we go often and is one of our favourite places.





It certainly made the Wave pattern choice very fitting.

I also finished it just in time for some perfect snuggling.  The day after I sewed in the last end, Miss R was a bit ill and had to have the day off school so she happily snuggled under her new blanket on the lounge for most of the day.

xx Susan

3 comments:

CJ said...

It's absolutely lovely, she's made a good choice, and that stitch is one of my favourite, it's got such great texture. No doubt she'll treasure it. CJ xx

casa crea d' emilia said...

Hi Susan,
Wow. your blanket looks stunning. And all the photos look amazing.
Have a nice day and thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment <3

Sweet greetings,
Emily
(casacreaemilia.blogspot.nl)

Angela Pitout said...

oh my goodness the colours match and flow so well. it is lovely.