Monday 13 August 2018

Portable projects

I like having a small project to work on that's easy to take with me when I have to go out somewhere.  

By small I mean that it can fit in one of my handbags (yes..ONE of), or just in a small bag of its own so I can work on it while I'm waiting for an appointment or at the park with the kids.

I like that the project is relatively small too which means I can complete something regularly, even when I'm working on a large blanket or some other lengthy project.  




My current portable project is butterflies.

I went through a number of different patterns to try and find some I liked doing but I have to say that I had a pretty horrid time of making them.  I have no idea why but my fingers just didn't want to work properly and I ended up getting so frustrated.

I didn't want to buy any new yarn for this project so went searching my cluttered shelves for some cotton.  I only found 3 colours which surprised me so I had to work out some colour combinations using them.



I also had some Stylecraft Special DK leftover from working on Miss R's blanket.  I really wanted to use cotton for this project but in the end I faffed so many of the butterflies that I tried a few different combinations with this yarn too.


Out of the first 6 butterflies I made, only 2 of them are worthy of any consideration.  The other 4 ended up being pulled apart or binned.  No excuses.  They were crap!


I was hoping to make some prettier ones but my patience ran out in the end and I made do with the ones that I was happy with.



Then while suffering from a little insomnia the other morning I came across this Sweet Simple Butterfly pattern on Ravelry and decided to give it a go with some leftover acrylic baby yarn I had.



I enjoyed making this butterfly I have to say and can now show you the final 3 that I have made.




All of them are in different yarns and all stash busters that helped pass some time in waiting rooms.







So these little butterflies will now be winging their way to the otherside of the world to be a part of the Yarndale venture and I will be onto another small project soon.  

Well I will once I've finished Miss R's blanket.  I don't have much to do now and the closer I get to being finished the more impatient she gets.  :)  Crack that whip!

I hope you all had a lovely weekend and were able to do something you loved.

I got to share a special day with some special people but more on that soon.

xx Susan








1 comment:

Angie said...

Hello Susan
My first visit to your lovely blog. I'm already a few months in my milestone 50s. so my best wishes to your sister! Your butterflies project has been a sucess.You came up with such beautiful butterflies. I'm getting idea to also participate in Yarndale.