Wednesday 24 October 2018

Spring garland

Thank you so much for those who wished my girl a happy birthday.  Not only via the comments on my blog but to friends, family and others from afar who sent messages through my sister on Facebook (I'm not on it).  The look on her face when I told her that people all over the country and the world were sending her birthday wishes was priceless. 

Now..... onto crafty things.

All over blogland people are celebrating Autumn and decorating and making me feel a tad bit lazy really.  I am quite a homey person but decorating certainly isn't my strongest ability.  Not only that but it's Spring where I live so all the Autumn paraphernalia doesn't quite sit right with the weather we have here, especially as it's really been heating up this week.




Spring for me means flowers and as much as I would love to have big pots of flowering plants dotted around the house and yard, I have a pretty horrendous track record for growing things.  In fact when I mentioned to hubby the other day that I'm thinking of planting a few things up in pots his reply was a very loud snort (you know the choking sounding kind) of disbelief.  He either knows me well or has little faith :)

The lovely Meg has made a suggestion of the kind of flower I could try and I'll let you know if I'm brave enough to give them a go.  I have pots that I found in the shed and I've cleaned them up but that's as far as I've got for now.  It's a start at least.

Since the whole fresh flowers thing may or may not happen, I decided that I may as well make my own flowers and hang up a little bit of spring in my house.  




I only used cotton and cotton blends from my stash since I'm trying not to buy anymore yarn until I've made a dent in what I've got.  A few more colours would have been welcome but I was strong and used stash only.  Are you amazed at my willpower?  I am!

I looked for inspiration in a couple of the crochet books I have and ended up making just a few types of flowers, changing colours and hook size to make them a little different.  I added a few leaves and even made a butterfly.  I wish I had found that particular pattern when I was looking for them a couple of months ago.  This one was so easy and really pretty.




As soon as I finished a flower I blocked it straight away and sprayed it with a little starch to help them keep their shape when hanging up.  Then I added a simple chain to join them together and my lovely little spring garland is now hanging in the arch in our lounge room.








One spring project down and it's onto the next one!

I hope you're all having a wonderful week.

xx Susan



6 comments:

Jane said...

That garland is so pretty :) When my crochet has improved beyond granny stitch I might make garlands. I know people like these strings of lights garlands, but they're not my thing. I'm not good with growing plants indoors or out, but I do have quite a few imitation plants and flowers. Some look realistic and some not so much. I know they won't grow, but at least they won't die! My garden is pretty much left to it's own devices and I occasionally buy an plant and just stick it in somewhere and just let it get on with it. Jane :)

Country Rabbit said...

oh wow! that is just beautiful especially love the yarny colour combinations you are really talented with crochet im just a beginner ive tried so many times to master it. im still on crochet squares. xx

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

What a pretty garland, just the thing to welcome your spring and summer xx

faith76 said...

That's a lovely stashbusting project. Well done you xx

Teresa Kasner said...

I like your flowery garland, good job you! Some of my autumn decorations are crocheted pumpkins.. crochet can really do the trick! I think you should try a potted plant, you can ask the garden center to recommend one that is easy to care for. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Meg said...

That's so lovely! What a sweet idea for a garland. Meg🌸