Tuesday 30 October 2018

A shawl, a scarf and a tea towel

I seem to be always driving in and out lately.  Nothing major, just lots of little things that have required me to be on the move and the result is not much time in between to quiet my mind and work on the few projects I have going here.

It's all been good though and I have truly been getting things done when I have been at home, just in snippets rather than a long lounging kind of session.

The rainbow shawl I was making using a basic granny stitch is now finished and ready in time for spring/summer.  It's made of a cotton/acrylic mix which will be perfect to throw over swimming togs and can easily be washed if it gets a bit of sand and sunscreen on it.  




I'm really loving the brightness of it and in truth it reminds me a bit of the rainbow ice-cream that you get.  See.. perfect for summer.  You can wear it over your swimmers and match your ice cream :)













On the opposite end of the seasons I've also finished the alpaca scarf I was making from the stash that my lovely mum gave me.  I really wanted to put a fringe on this one too, just to finish it off a bit but I ran out of yarn.





I'm still really happy with this scarf though and it will be lovely to wear on a cold winters day and add a touch of brightness when the skies are grey.





Now we come to the tea towel mentioned in the title.  This is not a craft project of mine but a commemorative tea towel from my first year at High School.  

Back in 1987 a new high school opened in Maleny and I was one of the foundation year students.  In fact my grade were the first to go through years 8-12 at the new school and the tea towel with all the students and staff signatures was available for the official opening.



A few weeks ago we were at a birthday party for hubby's cousin and I met a lady there whose named was familiar and it turned out she was the mother of one of the girls who was in my grade.

During the evening she mentioned the high school tea towel and how she was so excited to have a photo of it that a friend sent her.  You see, her son who was a couple of years older than me sadly lost his life in a car accident when he was 24.  She loved the fact that she could see his name in HIS writing on the towel.

It just so happens that I had 2 tea towels and I promised her that she could have one of them.






So this week I dug it out of the back of the cupboard, gave it a wash and have since ironed it.  Now we're just trying to work out when we can catch up so I can gift it to her.

I hope you are all having a wonderful week.

xx Susan





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely - I did enjoy reading about the tea towel and how you are able to make
someone's life a little happier with the gift of a special tea towel. Jean/Winnipeg

Teresa Kasner said...

That shawl turned out FABULOUS! I wear my shawls all year long almost every time I leave the house. And that red scarf is also a winner. Good job on them!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jane said...

I love the shawl, such sweet colours! That's so lovely that you can gift the tea towel. It's these small things that can make another person so happy :) Best, Jane x

Jules said...

Your makes are beautiful and how lovely of you to gift the tea towel. It will be really appreciated. X

Christina said...

That's a lovely story about a treasured tea towel. You are very kind to give yours away.
Love your poncho, the colours remind me of hundreds and thousands sweets (I don't know if you have those where you live). Very pretty.x

sewing green lady said...

I love the shawl and the scarf such beautiful colours. Lovely memories to share too.