Monday 23 December 2019

Gingerbread Muffins

In my last post I mentioned that Miss R wanted me to make Gingerbread muffins over the weekend.

I'm happy to report that one batch has been made but as there's not many left then I'll probably be making another batch on Christmas Eve.

This year we're having muffins and fruit for breakfast as I really like to start the day with as little fuss as possible. 

 As well as the Gingerbread muffins, I'll also make a batch of savoury cheese muffins to balance things out a bit.  Both kinds of muffins freeze really well and are great popped into the microwave for 30 or 40 seconds for a yummy breaky or snack at any time.



I usually ice my gingerbread muffins with a cream cheese icing although the traditional lemon icing would be beautiful too.  Master M doesn't like lemon or cream cheese icing but he loves the muffins plain so I always leave some un-iced just for him.

The mixture itself is quite liquid so don't panic if you think you've missed an ingredient.  It also fills 12 muffin cases up nearly to the top.  In the past I've used smaller cases and made around 20 or so muffins which is a nice little bite full but this time I've made them the normal size.





Gingerbread Muffins

1 cup of boiling water
1/4 cup of Golden Syrup *
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon of baking powder
pinch of salt


* (I think you use Corn Syrup in the USA or you could substitute maple syrup but I've never tried it with this).

Pour the boiling water into a bowl.  Add the syrup and bicarbonate soda and mix well then allow to cool slightly (I usually leave it about 5 minutes while I get the other ingredients ready).

Add the oil and eggs and mix until combined, then stir in the sugar.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.  I usually use a whisk to get rid of any lumps.

Pour into 12 muffin tins lined with cases and bake at 180 C (375F) for approximately 20 minutes.

Once cooled top with icing if you wish.


Cream Cheese Icing


250g block of cream cheese, softened (e.g Philadelphia brand)
2/3 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)

Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together with an electric mixer until well combined and creamy.  It only needs a couple of minutes.

Enjoy!

xx Susan

8 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Oh those muffins look delicious! I actually have some golden syrup I bought for making British recipes. I think I'll copy and paste that and print it up. Have you tried putting a bit of vanilla in your cream cheese frosting? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

****************************************
*M*E*R*R*Y* * *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
****************************************

Jules said...

Thank you for this. I will definitely bake some for my visitors over Christmas. X

Angela said...

Beautiful muffins and thanks for the recipe. Hope all is well with you and your family. We have prayed for Australia with all those fires going on there. May you have a peaceful 2020!

Rohit Singh said...

It's simple to scatter the coffee grounds around your plants and then sit back and let the high levels of nitrogen help your acid-loving plants grow to great heights all summer long.
satta king
play bazaar

playbajar said...

Seeing the numbers rise and fall keeps you focused on your goal and can also help you realize what dietary or exercise modifications are helpful.
satta king
play bazaar

play bazaar said...

To help you lose weight and make healthy food choices, get rid of the unhealthy choices in your life. Go ahead and throw away those junk foods that are likely to sabotage your plan. This way, they aren't sitting there tempting you all the time and you can choose the healthier foods you bought to replace them.
satta king
play bazaar

play bazaar said...

give yourself time to think about something else, and to spend your leisure time doing something other than exercise. Everyone needs a break sometimes, and taking time off to forget that you are trying to lose weight will give you time to regroup and rest for a while.
satta king
play bazaar


Let's Get Sewing said...

These look delicious!