Friday 22 February 2019

What to make with some of my stash?

I'm slowly going through my house decluttering at the moment.  I say slowly because I don't want to crash and burn as I have in the past and am trying to get into the habit of maintaining the clean areas before I head onto the next section.

More on that in another post but I have started to go through my yarn stash.  I did last year too and made a good dent in it and then of course ended up buying more yarn to add to the stash.  I know I'm not alone in doing this as we all seem to have a magic stash of yarn that never seems to go down no matter how much you work your way through it.

I've pulled out 4 lots of yarn that I want to work on before I buy any more.  Wishful thinking maybe but I've decided to give it a go.  The only problem is that I have no idea what to make with them.  I know inspiration will come to me but I am getting close to finishing my other projects and really need to start working out what to make next.

I have one 200g ball of 8ply yarn from the Bendigo Woollen Mills.  I can't remember if this one is pure wool or is a mix so I might have to do a bit of research as I've lost the tag that came with it.  I love the colours and am thinking that a scarf may be the best option.




I vaguely remember buying the next lot of yarn years ago.  I know I started making something with it as I'm sure I had about 6-8 balls of it but I can only find 3.  I can't even remember what I made and who I gave it to, if I even did give something away.

I do like the colours though and will ponder on what to make with this for a little longer I think.




I have 4 balls of Drops Delight which I think will make a lovely shawl so I might have to work on a pattern which will highlight the lovely colours.  It is a sock yarn (I think) so you never know, maybe I'll have a go with the pointy sticks and try and knit some socks.

I'm not sure if I'm that brave yet but you never know what I'll end up doing.




The final group of yarn that I'm wanting to work on are 5 balls of Stylecraft Special DK.  They're not my usual colours and are leftover from yarn packs from other projects.

I really want to make something with this first, mainly because they're the ones that take up the most room but I'm stuck for ideas.

I've looked through Ravelry to get some inspiration and find a pattern that I think will work up well in these colours, as well as making sure I have enough yarn for it.  A couple have caught my eye but I haven't been able to decide on anything yet.



Hopefully inspiration will come soon as we have a cyclone coming our way and are expecting it to be raining a lot over the coming week. It's really windy here today but we've only had a couple of small showers of rain early this morning.  That will change in the next 24 hours no doubt.

So since it looks like it's going to be a bit of a wet weekend, I'm hoping to snaffle myself plenty of crochet time and will be ready to start on a new project.  

I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

xx Susan


3 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Those are some pretty yarns and it's kind of a neat dilemma to be in on what to make. I'm sure you'll figure out something wonderful. I hope the storm won't cause you any trouble! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Christina said...

I have reduced my yarn stash dramatically. My recommendation is that if it doesn't talk to you, the yarn should be someone else's. I donated everything that I no longer loved to charity and I know people buy it because what I see in the baskets is changing. Good luck with your destash!

I hope the cyclone is not to atrocious.

Jane said...

My stash dwindles then grows again too- mysterious isn't it? Those balls of Stylecraft say woodland/forest. If you have blank space on the walls maybe a stripe/intarsia wall hanging in a more solid kind of stitch; I'm not sure of stitch names LOL. Best, Jane x