Tuesday 22 January 2019

Yarn Trail - Rosabella Threads

I mentioned in a previous post that I was off on my own personal Yarn Trail hunt which basically involves me finding shops and places within my local area where I can buy yarn.

I wasn't expecting to hit the JACKPOT all in squealing, happy dance capitals so quickly and it all came about from a woman at a quilting shop mentioning Rosabella Threads and saying they were from near Toowoomba (about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from my house).

I went home and looked online and immediately fell in love with what they had to offer and their story.  I fully intended to buy online, just to try out some of the yarn but then fate stepped in and we took Miss R up to Toowoomba over the weekend so she could stay with a friend.

I contacted them to say I was heading through that way on Monday and could I have a look at their stock.  More squealy happy dances when they said that I was more than welcome to call into their farm.




So after picking Miss R up from her friends, we made the short detour to the farm where we got to see the Angora goats which produce the beautiful mohair fibres for the yarn.




There were alpacas on the farm too but they were, very sensibly, down the back in the shade as it was pretty hot.




George, the resident Corgi, was on hand to supervise selection and to get the odd pat or two.




Then there are the yarns.  Oh my!  They are gorgeous and so soft.  The colours are beautiful too and is all hand dyed by the lovely Dianne who looked after us and showed us a wonderful selection.




I could have squished and dithered there all afternoon but decided that I would buy a small selection to make something just for me.  I can always buy more online or go for a drive another day when I start planning a few more projects.  In the end I bought a little teaser selection for me to start off with.




I usually go for blues and greys (of which there was a really wonderful selection of), but I was drawn to the Rose in the Prima range so went with my instincts.  I couldn't help myself and ended up buying a couple of skeins of the silver as well  :)




The yarn really is gorgeously soft and the colours are exquisite and I'm already having to reign in my overactive mind which is planning up so many projects.  I'll need years to complete the ones that popped into my mind while I was looking at the yarn so I've come home to collect myself, have a think and a plan and then work out what I want... one project at a time. (Wish me luck with that...LOL!)









I wanted to leave you with one last photo of the farm which is actually one of my favourites.  Dianne said that it wasn't at its best because it's so dry.

I love it because it's the reality of living on the land and the passion that producers like Dianne and Peter live with through the seasons and the years.  Rain hasn't been seen here since October and it's probably been longer up on the range.

We were there in the middle of a really hot day so there's a heat haze which I think showed up the parched ground in it's perfect harshness.

I can also imagine that late in the afternoon, the muted light would soften the harshness and there would be lots of warm colours making it look really beautiful.




I also want to add that I'm not affiliated with Rosabella Threads in any way.  Any opinions on my blog are mine alone and if I find something that I love then I'll happily gush about it.

Having said that, if you want to find out more about Rosabella Threads  and have a look at the range of yarn they have to offer, then click on their name and the link will take you to their website which will more accurately tell their story better than I am able to.

I hope you all have a wonderful week.  It's the last week of the school holidays here and I can see at least some of my days taken up with working on my new, pretty pink yarn!

xx Susan



2 comments:

Jane said...

Your yarn trail is well worth the effort! I had a lookie at Rosabella Threads and what gorgeous yarns! No wonder you were squealing in happy delight! I can't wait to see what you decide to make. Best, Jane x

Teresa Kasner said...

I think you hit the jackpot visiting that yarn maker! I love the look of the single ply it looks so much like homespun done on one's own spinning wheel. And the colors! I would have been so tempted to get at least 6 different colors! I look forward to see you work it up. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)