Tuesday 15 January 2019

Breathing

I had intended to do a nice, light post but I feel it is a bit beyond me right now.

The reality is that I'm struggling.  I often do when we're in the final weeks of the school holidays and all the little, and not so little things build up.  I've become quite adept over the years at dealing with it all but I find that no matter what strategies I use and things I put in place to make it easier, it's still a struggle.




We had plenty of extra kids over during the day recently and even though it's fun at the time and I'm happy to help out other people when needed, it really takes its toll.

I've mentioned before that both my kids are on the Autism Spectrum and both of them have sensory issues in various degrees for different things but too much noise and stimulation can really add up.  It got to the stage where they both weren't coping well with one child very noisily freaking out and making it known to everyone and the other pretty well 'shutting down'.

So the last week has been dealing with two gorgeous and quirky kids.  My sister had Miss R for a night which was a wonderful blessing for us all.  It gave the kids a break from each other too and something different for my girl to focus on.

When we have moments like this I usually have trouble sleeping so when a good nights sleep is more important than ever, I find myself tossing and turning and good old insomnia kicks in. That means I'm tired, cranky and have a lot less patience so I'm not at my finest as a mother.  It's a reality that we all deal with and when I hear people talking about someone being the perfect mother I get twitchy.  I mean, didn't the 1950's housewives have a stash of cooking sherry somewhere!

The worst seems to be over for now and I'm finding that I need to plan the rest of the school holidays around what triggers there may be for the kids.  We'll get there, we always do.  We don't have a choice really except cope with it and deal with what's in front of us at the time.  One day at a time is how we're working on things right now, sometimes we work on getting through to lunch, then the afternoon, evening etc and break it down if needed.

A huge positive is the fact that hubby will be home around 3 am tomorrow and will be here for 5 days before he has to head back to work again.  Yay! Let's hope it's not too much of a mad house he lands in.

Thanks for listening my friends and remember to look for the little positives in your day.

xx Susan




4 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

My goodness.. you have a lot on your plate! You're lucky to have family who will help you out on occasion. I'm glad for you that your husband will soon be there to help out.. maybe you can have another day off by yourself?

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Christina said...

That's sound rough Susan, I am sorry to read that life is a bit difficult just now. I am glad you'll have some in house support for the next few days, shared worries are not as bad as those that you carry by yourself. I imagine the holidays can be difficult for your children as it is a break from a comfortable and well trodden school routine. I hope sleep will find you tonight. xx

P.S. There are no perfect mothers, we all struggle, some days more than others.

Jane said...

I used to enjoy the kids school holidays, but even though the kids didn't want to go back to school, I think they were often glad to go back. Even for children, to much time to fill can be stressful. Even though my kids are long since grown and have their own lives, and it's just John and me now, I still find life's anxieties building up. A lot of the time I think it's just the constant pressure of our 'modern' world. We all need to find our way to deal with it; for me personally it's reading my bible and prayer. Like you I take it one day at a time. I hope everything will settle for you soon. Best, Jane x

Billie Jo said...

My Friend,
I am sorry to read of your struggles.
Please know you are not alone.
I am glad your husband is returning and will be there to lend some love and support.
Perhaps you can sneak away for an afternoon nap?
And I agree with Christina above...No perfect mothers exist. : )