Thursday 2 July 2015

Familiar but so different

This week has been very interesting for me.  

When you are quite a close family like we are, everyone's houses are familiar and very much second homes.  In the case of my parent's house it's probably more familiar than my own home as I was 3 when we moved in and I won't mention how old I was when I finally moved out!


Being the "Mum" in the house (my parents are away on holiday) this week has put a slightly different perspective on things.  I'm the Mum now and my kids and nephews have taken over the role of my sister, brother and myself.  It's very NOISY!


I've been heading outside when I need a bit of quiet time and have just been wandering around the yard looking at Mum's garden.

Mum's always had a garden.  There's lots of easy to look after flowers, the same familiar varieties after all these years.

Summer or Winter there's always something in bloom to add a bit of brightness to the yard.



It wouldn't be Mum's place without some kind of food growing.  It's the middle of winter here so the naval orange tree is bearing some beautiful, juicy fruit.

The vegetable garden is looking a bit bare though but that could be a good thing because I have a little problem remembering to water things.  Hopefully my brother will handle that department as he and his boys will continue housesitting while 'the olds' are away.


Tomorrow is Friday and we will finally be allowed back into our house.  I will head over there early and open the whole place up so it can air out as the polyurethane smell is pretty strong.  

The kids and I have plans for tomorrow to keep us away for as long as possible and then it will be back home.  Hubby wants me to stay here at Mum's for another night just to give the house one more day to air but I'm really ready to be back in my own little box.

This house which was home for me for so long, is now no longer my true home.  Home is with my husband and kids and our own little place where we are our own little family.  

That's what happens when you grow up and it's just how it should be.

xx Susan

No comments: