Wednesday 7 December 2016

The last week of the school year...

.....for some reason is all about food.
 
There has been muffin trialing.  These are Welsh Rarebit muffins from a Nigella recipe and it seems I'm the only person in the family who actually likes them.  Even lovely hubby is a bit iffy on them.  He eats them but a few subtle comments has made it clear that he's not that fussed on them.
 
I made a double batch of them which I ended up freezing so I can nuke one for breakfast when I want something a little different.
 
Looks like I'll be giving a few more recipes a go before I find one we all might like to eat on Christmas morning.  There's always croissants if we can't agree on anything. 
 
 
 
 
I also branched out and used a packet cake mix!  SHOCK...HORROR!  Yes it was a packet mix but it did say Triple Chocolate Brownies so I thought I would give it a go.
 

 
 
Master M gave it a serious YES vote of approval when he got home from school and when I sampled a little not long after I can heartily agree.  I might have to keep an eye out for these when they're on special again.  Not that Little Miss R will be impressed.  NO...our resident chocolate hater is not impressed at all.

 
 
I also made a double batch of gingerbread men / trees and bells.  These were for the kidlettes class parties on the last day of school for the year.
 

 
 
The recipe said that they made about 20 so I doubled it because I have two children.  It would seem that I need to work on my maths a bit because my 5mm thickness is a bit less than what they actually wish you to roll out the dough to.  In the end my double batch yielded around 100 edible trees and bells.  That's a lot of rolling, punching out, baking and standing.  My feet and legs will tell you that I did actually do that many!
 

 
 
The decorating ended up very basic  because I didn't have the time or patience to do much more than I did.  The kidlettes are happy and they both have a Christmassy plate of gingerbread goodies to take with them to school for the last party day.

 
Then when  I picked them up from school a couple of parents said that they just got chips or told their kids to pick what they want in Woollies.  Makes me wonder why I slaved for 3-4  hours in the kitchen for.  I didn't even THINK about buying something ready made from the grocery store.  I think I may have to work on changing the brain waves or something for next year.
 
 
I'm also intending to have a very quiet 'me' day on Thursday as it's probably going to be the last I will truly get to enjoy until next February.  Please don't be upset if I don't answer the phone. :)
 
xx Susan


No comments: