Tuesday 1 November 2016

Crochet Shawl

It's felt so good to make this shawl.  I hadn't picked up a crochet hook in about 6 months and then I really just wanted to make something.

I'm finding that scarves and shawls are things that I like to make best, especially shawls.  It's usually too hot to wear them where I live but I do really love making them.

A few weeks ago I decided that I would make this.....(it would pass the time until my yarn order arrived from the UK).




I was only able to spend a few moments on it every few days.  On one particular cool and rainy day I was able to spend a few hours on it which I found really soothing and relaxing.

I kept a post it note handy crossing off the rows as I went as I had to do them in a repeat pattern of 3 rows.  I found the crossing off the rows system much better than any row counter.  Well it was much better for me anyway although I'm sure there are people out there who swear by the row counters.  It's really whatever system works best for you.




Then all of a sudden it was finished....




There was still the ends to tie in and it needed to be blocked, but essentially it was completed.

  I was so surprised that it took only about 2 weeks because I felt I wasn't putting much time into it at all and thought that it would take me a lot longer to make.




The feeling that knowing you have completed something made by your own hands is truly a wonderful thing.

Once it was blocked it was ready to be wrapped up and put away.



I'm still not quite sure what I'll be doing with this shawl.  I've found that I really, really LOVE making shawls but considering I live in the sub-tropics, they're not really that practical for me.





I will continue to make them though because there's something about them that just makes me want to pick up a hook and order more yarn.  It's soothing and I feel I'm doing something productive with my time.




I just wish I could learn how to photograph them properly!

Oh and my order from the UK still hasn't arrived.  It's well over 2 weeks now so I shouldn't complain too much but my fingers are just itching to start Master M's blanket.

Until then I'm working on a snowflake garland out of some white cotton that I have.  I can make one snowflake with the ends tied in within 5-10 minutes so I'm getting a nice little pile.

The pattern for the snowflakes is really easy and can be found on Lucy's blog over at Attic24.

No comments: