Friday 14 October 2016

Three Minute Chocolate Slice

A few years ago one of my neighbours told me about a microwave chocolate slice she makes which only takes 3 minutes to cook.  I can't remember if she gave me her recipe or if  I googled it but this is the one I've been using for years. 
 
It's rich, sort of fudgy and a hit with Master M and the neighbours kids. 
 
I'll write the recipe out at the end but basically you put some self-raising flour, desiccated coconut, sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl.
 
 
 
 
Then you add in some golden syrup and melted butter.
 

 
 
Mix it all together and press into a microwave safe container.  (I use a loaf size plastic container but a glass Pyrex square one would work or whatever you have).

 
You cook it in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.  When it comes out it will still look quite wet and maybe not quite cooked.  This is just the illusion of microwave cooking.
 

 
 
This is what it looks like once it's cooled down.
 

 
 
The original recipe I had says to ice the slice when it's still warm but I often do it when it's cool (only because I'm doing other things and forget about it).  It still works out fine.
 
The icing is made up of some icing sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and some milk.  I don't bother about putting any butter in it.  No one notices the difference and it works out quite fine without it.
 

 
 
Master M really loves to help out, especially when it comes to mixing things.  I think it's more the incentive of getting to lick the bowl afterwards.  Since Little Miss R detests chocolate, this bowl is always his!

 
 
Spread the icing evenly over the top, shower it with some sprinkles or 100's and 1000's or whatever you prefer then wait for the icing to set before cutting it up.

 
Then you enjoy!
 

 
 
Recipe for 3 minute microwave chocolate slice
 
 
  • 1 cup self raising flour
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I use caster)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup
  • 150g melted butter (I use unsalted)
 
Icing
 
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • enough milk to make a nice spreadable icing.  I usually start off with around 1-2 tablespoons then add more if needed.
My microwave is 1100W and I cook it on high for 3 minutes. 
 
I developed another non-chocolate one for Little Miss R made with wheat bix and topped with a lemon icing.  I'll try to remember to share that with you another day as it takes only 3 minutes in the microwave as well.
 
Enjoy!
 
xx Susan



No comments: