Tuesday 6 August 2013

Leek and Mushroom Pies

In the frozen meal section of the local woollies they have Linda McCartney meals.  I don't usually buy frozen meals but my sister got me onto these as they are really, really yummy and great for lunch with a salad.
 
The leek, red onion and cheese plaits are so tasty and I decided I could make something similar myself which would work out much cheaper.
 
I had leeks and mushrooms in the fridge so this is what I came up with.
 
 
chop up 1 leek and about 9 or 10 button mushrooms.
 
I also used 2 shortcut rashes of bacon cause they were in the fridge and needed using.  If you wanted a vegetarian option then leave the bacon out.
 
On a medium heat I cooked the bacon and mushrooms for a few minutes then turned the heat down and added the leeks and 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
 
I let this mixture cook over the low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


 
Then I made a cheesy white sauce.  Everyone has their own white sauce recipe I'm sure so just make up about 2 cups of it and add about 3/4 cup of grated cheese in at the end.  I used cheddar and parmesan.
 
 
One tablespoon of butter to two tablespoons of plain flour per cup of milk made the sauce a nice thickness.
 
Then mix the leek and mushroom mixture through the white sauce and place a really good heaped tablespoon full onto the pastry.


 
I just used sheets of frozen puff pastry which I cut into quarters.  I place the mixture in the middle of one of the squares, brushed the outside with water and placed another square of pastry on top.
 
I then sealed up the edges and cooked them in a 200 celcius oven for about 25 minutes.
 
I made 12 pies and have frozen most of them so I have a quick meal on a night when I want something easy.  They are really yummy!
 
I've also thought about putting the filling in crepes or a baked potato if I wanted to do something different.  I made them into pies because I wanted to have some homemade meals in the freezer for easy dinners.
 
If you make something similar, enjoy! 
 
xx Susan

No comments: